This medley of the unscriptural teachings of Mormons has been gathered from many sources. We have compiled it from the writings of both Mormons and Ex-Mormons. This is not an exhaustive study of this great and false religion, but is a multum-in-parvo effort for the busy person.
1. Mormons teach the insufficiency of the Bible, and they call a person a fool who believes in the all sufficiency of the Bible. Hear them: “Thou fool, that shall say, a Bible, a Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no other Bible—Ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written” (Book of Mormon, 1 Nehpi 12:53-64).
The Bible declares that, the Holy Spirit guided the apostles into all truth. (John 16:13). Through Christ and his apostles, “all things that pertain unto life and godliness have been revealed” (2 Pet. 1:3). Accursed is that soul (Joseph Smith included) that would preach another gospel (Gal. 1:8-9). We are forbidden to add or subtract from the Bible revelation (Rev. 22-18-19). Therefore, when the Mormons represent God as saying of Joseph Smith, “I have sent forth the fulness of my gospel by the hand of my servant Joseph” (Doctrines & Covenants, Section 35:17), you know it is a fraud.
2. Mormons teach that, “Adam is God.” Of Adam they say, “He is our Father and our God, and the only God with whom we have to do.” And the Mormons say of this Adam-God, “Eve was one of his wives” (Pearl of Great Price, p. 60, and Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, page 50).
The Bible declares that God created Adam (Gen. 2:7). It also declares that Adam disobeyed God.(Gen. 3:17). If Adam is God, that would make God a sinner. Shame on Mormon doctrine!
3. Mormons teach Christ was a polygamist. Of Mary, Martha, and Mary Magdalene, and of Jesus, they say, “If all the acts of Jesus were written, we, no doubt, should learn that these beloved women were his wives” (The Seer, Vol. 1, pp. 158, 159).
The Bible nowhere intimates that Jesus took even one wife, let alone three. The Bible declares, “Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband” (1 Con 7:2). Where is the honor of the Mormons?
4. Mormons contradict the New Testament also by having unmarried elders, and young men at that. See 1 Timothy 3:2 and Titus 1:6.
5. The Mormons use light bread and water in their communion. The very time of the institute of this feast, they would have trouble proving that Jesus used leavened bread for this feast (communion), but how on earth can they expect people to accept water instead of what Jesus used, fruit of the vine (Matt. 26:26-29).
6. The apostles of the Mormon Church could never have been apostles in the true church of Christ. To be one of Christ’s apostles, one had to be a witness of Christ. (Acts 1:21-22; 1 Cor. 9:1).
7. The Aaronic Priesthood of the Mormon Church is all wrong. Only Levites could attain to this Aaronic Priesthood (Heb. 7:11-12). And the so-called Mormon priests are not Levites. And, anyway, this Aaronic Priesthood was changed (Heb. 7:23-25).
8. Mormons, in trying to justify their claim for new revelation, pervert James 1:5. This scripture teaches God’s people to pray for wisdom, not for new revelation. New revelation would be knowledge. James 1:5 promises wisdom, and wisdom is only the ability to apply the knowledge which we already have in the Bible.
9. Mormons err in having women preachers in their public assemblies. This contradicts God’s word (1 Cor. 14:34-35; 1 Tim. 2:11-12).
10. Mormons pervert 1 Corinthians 15:29, that speaks concerning “baptized for the dead.” Though Paul was arguing the death and resurrection of Jesus in 1 Corinthians 15, and why be baptized into Christ’s death if he be not raised (Rom. 6:3-5), yet Mormons apply this to a living person being baptized for a person who had died without being baptized. A proper understanding of Isaiah 38:18, John 9:4, and Romans 14:12 will show the folly of the Mormon teaching.
11. Mormons teach that the Book of Mormon is more perfect than the Bible. The following I have copied from The Gospel Advertiser, page 8: February 28, 1950. “To Whom It May Concern: The Book of Mormon is more perfect than the Bible. It is the most perfect book on earth today. Signed: Elder Grant Evans Elder Glen Elder.” Then they add the following in their own handwriting: “Quoted from the words of Joseph Smith, the first prophet of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.” The statement of these young Mormon elders is nothing short of blasphemy. What a shame!
12. The Mormons teach that the Bible has scarcely a verse that is not polluted. The Mormons boldly ask: “Who knows that even one verse of the whole Bible has escaped pollution?” (Orson Pratt, Divine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon). This shows the lack of Mormon confidence in the words of Jesus, because Jesus said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away” (Matt. 24:35). The inspired apostle said, “The word of the Lord endureth for ever” (1 Pet. 1:25). But the Mormons say the whole Bible is polluted. Why, then, have the Mormons stole about 10,000 verses from the Bible, and put them in The Book of Mormon?